Thursday, 29 March 2012

The Simple Pleasures of a Long Day


As a final gesture of fatigue, Ariel stretched out on her tummy, collapsed her head on one outstreched arm, and let out a big sigh.  In doing so, she reminded me of one of my favourite quotations:  "I feel like the end of a long day..." (Charlotte right before she dies in Charlotte's Web, by E.B. White)
Today was a long day.  Daddy was away the night before, which always makes it feel longer, but the day itself felt long and busy.  We went to Mommy and Baby Fitness in the morning where we walked around the mall, did exercises with the babies in their strollers, and then used the babies themselves as our weights, ending off the class with some baby play time.  Ariel took it all in.
After nap time and lunch, we headed to Ikea for the afternoon where everybody oohed and ahhed over Ariel's adorableness. One woman told me not to let her out of my sight because, "somebody might take her - she's so cute!"  I wasn't planning on losing sight of her, but I'll take the compliment on Ariel's behalf.  There is no chance of a quiet, discrete, outing with a baby in tow, that much I have learned and can absolutely appreciate.  Enjoy it while it lasts.  That is what everyone says, and I'm a believer.
Later, while I prepared dinner, Ariel played and played and played with her new Ikea toy (I couldn't resist).  It's a wooden toy car on a string, in the shape of a box, that holds a block puzzle.  Oh Ikea man, you are so clever! She loves it!  She played with it in every way imaginable for several hours before laying face down - pooped.  I tried to capture the moment (see above).  These are the simple pleasures of our long day.





1 comment: