Monday, 4 February 2013

Emergency

When I was pregnant with Ariel, my first, a wise mother of two teenage boys once told me, "Keep her in there as long as you can, because once she comes out you can't protect her.  The only time she's 100% safe is inside your womb."
As Ariel grows older and more independent, the more I am forced to let go, and the less able I am to protect her from the world.  The truth of the matter hurts.  I want nothing more than to hold my babies tight and keep them safe and warm forever; but alas - it cannot be so.
Today upon arriving home from Mothergoose with Elyse, I picked up my Iphone to see the banner  from Dan that read, 'Problem with Ariel at daycare...'  I clutched my phone tighter and, as fast as I could, read the email Dan forwarded me from Ariel's daycare.  I had missed their call home and to my cell phone by leaving it sitting on our coffee table where it could serve absolutely no purpose.
As it turns out, Ariel had tripped and fallen on her way back inside from playing, and had hit her head off the stairs.  There was a cut they wanted us to come and "take a look at".
Once again, as fast as I could, I loaded Elyse back into her car seat, back into the car, and took off for Ariel's daycare.  When I arrived, Ariel was in good spirits, but the cut on her forehead looked blunt, and deep, and bloody.  I sat in the parking lot with both kids trying to decide what to do.  On the one hand, I could try to take Ariel to the doctor's office, if they would take her, and it would likely save us some time by avoiding the Emergency Room's horrendous wait times.  On the other, I called the doctor's office and they will not do stitches or glue a cut back together again (sorry Humpty Dumpty), so if she needed that care the doctor's visit would be for nothing, and I'd be right back where I started.  I called Dan for back up and gunned it to Emerg.
A few hours later, I forcibly held Ariel down while she had her forehead glued back in place, and that was that.  We came home, I gave her a popsicle, and she was sound asleep.  Tomorrow just so happens to be her first day of gymnastics - I am glad we avoided the head trauma there.  Everyday life is so much more dangerous anyway.
What of Elyse, you ask?  She slept:)
Sporting her gymnastics get-up

Check out my shiny, glued laceration - good as new!

Working on her moves

1 comment:

  1. It took Daniel six years to split his forehead like that. Ariel is advanced.

    ReplyDelete