Wednesday, 18 September 2013

Ariel's First Day of Preschool!

This morning marked a milestone in Ariel's life:  her first day of Preschool.  She is attending a Co-op Preschool, which means I am lucky enough to get to spend a few days a month with her helping in her classroom.  The setting really is intimate, and I can see how we, the parents, are all going to get to know each other, and each others' children, very well.  
The difference between a co-op and a daycare centre to me is like night and day.  Not to say Ariel's daycare experience wasn't good, but the personableness, warmth, openness and accessibility to your child with the co-op set-up really suits my parenting and teaching style.  It's only been a day, but I would highly recommend it!
When I finally did leave, Ariel, like many of the other kids after a long summer's break home with their families, was reluctant to see me go.  Eventually, she was so engrossed in the circle time activities, that I  managed to slip away.  The nice part about my departure was I didn't feel badly about doing it.  I had told her I would be back at lunch time, said my good-byes, and was satisfied that she would be well taken care of over the next few hours.  A morning really isn't that long, but boy, was she tired afterwards!
When I went to pick her up, all the parents are kept downstairs until it's time to go so as not to disrupt the class; I peeked around the corner and she spotted me just before a little boy gave her a giant bear hug squeeze around her neck.  She talked about "a boy hugged me" for the rest of the day.  I think she is going to like Preschool.

This morning before Preschool:

Ariel would much rather be the 'teacher' than the 'student'.










Getting her shoes on with mommy

Big hug good-bye for daddy!

I thought we were going all out with our camera this morning, but apparently I was proved wrong by the dad with the video camera following his daughter's every move up the stairs into the Preschool room.  I have to admit, I may have gotten a bit teary myself when he looked at me looking at him and said, "Sorry, it's just that it's her first day!  I think I shed a tear back there."  His hard-felt raw emotion brought me right into the chaotic moment of Ariel's first day of Preschool.  Can't wait to go back Friday.


No comments:

Post a Comment