She's grown to be so mature, and a refined problem solver. Because nothing needs to stand in the way of getting what she wants - there's always a solution! I admire her resolve. Yesterday, she spotted an ipad in the diaper bag that Dan had used to entertain Elyse through her long specialist appointment at the hospital. Dan and I don't actively support the use of ipads in the car for a five minute drive, but Ariel was determined to bring the ipad with her.
"It's just a short drive honey, and it's not fair to Elyse." I tried to discourage her.
"Oh, but Elyse can use the black ipad, mommy. You can go get it for her." Damn, she's good. Of course we have two ipads, and Ariel would use that against me.
Her memory is astounding. We were discussing rock climbing last night, and she reminded me of the belayers we saw last summer at Rattlesnake point below the rock face. She also brought up a 'Great Wolf Godge' trip from several years ago - "we should go back there mom!"
We are in the midst of house hunting, and she reminded me that, "We used to live in the red brick house, and then we moved to this house. Will our next house be our forever house?" She was two years old when we moved from the red brick house.
She's quite thoughtful, too.
This morning she caressed my belly (which has grown quite large at almost 39 weeks!), and said, "This baby is going to be so nice. And whenever she gets hurt, I'll look after her, and tell mommy and daddy." She followed that up wistfully with, "When I was a baby, Sumo looked after me." Sumo was our black lab who recently had to be put down. She finds small ways to remember him that melt my heart.
I also have to give it to her: the girl has adjusted to a new school and picked up a new language in a matter of months! Ariel understands what I'm saying when I speak to her in French at home, and makes small requests on her own in French. She is sure to correct mine and Dan's pronunciation (F-aaaaite, pas fête maman!) I have sent a note in her lunch box every day of Kindergarten this year, and the past few weeks I've included drawings of animals and fruit with french labels. When I ask her what they are, she names every one - in French. That impresses me!
May 29th was your big day, and now you are five, my dear! Keep your sparkle and let it shine!
No comments:
Post a Comment