Tuesday, 2 July 2013

Hamilton Buddy Walk: Every life is equally beautiful

No man is an island.  Nobody can go it alone.  We all need some help and support in our lives, and as a wise friend once told me, "You Must Give in Order to Receive".

Before Elyse was born, I knew I wanted to become involved with the Down Syndrome Association of Hamilton (DSAH).  Times are changing, but there is so much more work that needs to be done to grant those with disabilities and those who are viewed as 'different' the same rights and value on the scale of humanity as the rest of us.  If someone was going to stand up and advocate for their child with Down syndrome; you had better believe it was going to be me.  Though, I have come to understand, being involved is much larger than just Elyse and I.

I set out to get involved with DSAH at the Executive Board level, and in the process, found myself setting up a Parent Networking Group for Parents of Children with DS and becoming involved in organizing our first ever Buddy Walk Fundraiser.  What I did not know before any of this started, was what the DSAH actually did, or where donation dollars went?  I have since learned:  every penny goes back into the association and supports events for families, equipment and activities for children with DS, education sessions and conferences for parents, as well as bursaries for necessary therapies.

What the DS association of Hamilton has accomplished in the past is incredible, and where we are heading is even more exciting.  What I would ask, of anyone who reads this blog, is that you would consider making DSAH "your charity" to give to and support.

How can you help??? TAKE THE BUDDY WALK CHALLENGE and SUPPORT TEAM ELYSE!!!! :)

The Hamilton Buddy Walk is just one of many Buddy Walks happening across Canada and the US that supports individuals with Down syndrome and their families.  The walk raises awareness as well as funds which go into local organizations that run programs, events and educational seminars and provide bursaries, as well as, in our case, partially supports the Canadian Down Syndrome Society (CDSS).

In the next week or so, I will be setting up 'Team Elyse's" page, so you can go to the Buddy Walk website to actually a) sign-up for the walk (September 29th) and b) make a pledge or donation in honour of Elyse and our family, and/or c) volunteer if you're interested

The website is now LIVE at: www.hamiltonbuddywalk.ca

* For now, I ask that you add a note in Pay Pal that you are supporting Team Elyse if you wish to register.  Once her page is complete, I will be sure to blog about it:)

The walk is free to attend, and I really hope to see many familiar faces there.  Showing up means more than just attending a walk:  YOU are helping plant the seeds of change!

Of course, without any donations, all the wonderful work the DSAH does for those with Down syndrome would not be possible, and I will likely lose my volunteer position on the Executive Board.  Okay, just kidding about that last bit, but still - PLEASE DONATE!  Every little bit counts :)

Go Team Elyse!!!

Every life is equally beautiful

No comments:

Post a Comment