Saturday, 24 August 2013

More of Ariel lately

Here's a brief look into the life and mind of Ariel the toddler these days.  Below are a few samples of what Dan and I overheard her saying today, as we commenced our potty training journey.

Throughout the day:

Ariel:

"I would like some Cheerios...please!"
"I want to rock sister"
"I want to go upstairs with mommy."
"No! That's MINE!!!" (in reference to many things)
"I don't like the potty!"
"I don't have to pee!"
"Pipi! Pipi!" (I read her a French potty training book)
"I don't like underwear!"
"I don't like my diaper!"
"No, No, No, No, No!"
"I hear a helicopter!"

During dinner:

"I want to watch a movie!"

Sits at the computer desk:  "I am just writing an email"

"I want ice cream!"

At the Purple Pony (ice cream parlour):

"I like the Black Pony.  Oh, he's so cute!" (the Pony was in fact white, but had black hair - in fairness)

Overhearing us talking about leaving, she says, "I want to stay", "I want to go on the Pony Rides"

*Note:  Ariel walked all the way down the street to the Purple Pony wearing only underwear and a dress, and she had no accidents!  When we got home, I sat her down on the potty and she had a big pee!  Our second major success after a pee and poo filled clean-up day!  We did spend most of the day outside with a naked baby, and that helped.

After tub time:

Ariel:  *fake cry*.
Me:  "What's going on in here?"
Daddy: "We had to end tub time early"
Me: "What happened Ariel?"
Ariel: "I splashed daddy!" (repeats over and over) burying her head in my lap
I explained it's not nice to splash people unless they say it's okay.  Her response:"I want to splash daddy.  I want to splash mommy!" (glad I was included)

Time for stories!

Ariel: "I want both!" (Dan often reads her stories solo while I tend to Elyse.  She has learned to request us both - very cute!)

As I prepared this blog:

Daddy: "Last story pumpkin, is mommy coming in for the last story?"
Ariel: "I will go get her!"

During last story:
A lot of mumbly jumbly words as sleepy time approaches.  "Right here", she says, pointing to the exact spot where I need to sit beside her daddy for the last story.  She stands in front of me, her eyes look a bit wild, and she says, "Play with mommy's hair!"

Playing with my hair:
"All on top!",  "Look nice for daddy in the morning" (??? not sure where that one came from)
"Uh-Oh!" (after messing up my hair in front of my face and not being able to put it back in place) "Mommy fix it."

Getting closer to bedtime still:

Toppling over:  "Whoa!  I fell!"  "Daddy catch me"

I said my love yous and goodnights, leaving Dan to finish the job, but I imagine what followed next to be something like this:

"I want to wake up in the morning!" or maybe, as she once inquired, "Bed bugs?" (in response to, "Sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite")

Instead, Dan revealed that their final goodbyes were marked by the loud sounds from the motorcycle of our new neighbour outside.  "It's just a motorcycle," Dan said.  "Just a motorcycle...just a motorcycle" Ariel replied, as she trailed off and drifted to sleep.


Ariel, "I want the red one!", eating her 'red' ice cream - she picked it!

Enjoying the fading summer days

"How many ponies are there Ariel?" - "Two!"

Elyse, riding in her stroller like a big girl



No comments:

Post a Comment