Friday, 21 February 2014

Strange Noises

Ariel woke up today and told me she had a "sore stomach."
She managed alright through the morning at Preschool;  however, I know she is a bit sick because she later put herself down for a nap (which NEVER happens).

Shortly before her nap, I heard her pick up her play phone and have a lovely conversation with her grandparents that went like this:

"Hello Grandma and Grandad.
I'm not feeling well today.
I'm sick.
Goodbye."
 
I was impressed not only by her ability to correctly identify how she was feeling today, but also struck by her use of expression and proper phone etiquette.  She has never actually had such a well-rounded phone conversation in her life, but now I know she can.

Her turns of phrase and funny little stories never cease to amuse me these days.

Before bed she likes to run around her tent, and exclaims, "Look!  I'm going for a jog mommy!  I'm jogging!" (Guess who else likes to go for jogs?) :)

While I was at the gym this past week, I left both girls in the build-in daycare for the duration of my hour-long class.  Elyse is going through a phase where she tends to have a hard time being with anyone else but me, and usually cries with strangers (and family!) when I'm not around (I don't blame her).  Anyway, I had left and Elyse was getting worked up.  Apparently Ariel turned to the caregiver and said, "Where's my mommy?" who in turn explained I was "doing her exercise".  Ariel turned to Elyse and said in her sweetest voice, "It's okay Lysie, mommy is doing her exercises.  It's okay - she'll be back soon."

When I did come back - a whole hour later - Ariel looked up at me and said, "Where did you go mommy?  You left me mommy.  You left me and sister."  Her words, though seemingly heartbreaking and sad, were quickly deflated and balanced out by her request to "go back to the gym to play with the kids, please!"  I had, of course, explained beforehand that I would be leaving to go work out, and would be back shortly to get the girls after they played.

In the end, what touched me most was how Ariel took her little sister under her wing; comforting her in the way I would have comforted her by speaking softly and with words of reassurance.  I have seen her do this in other contexts as well; she is somehow imitating an act so mature and so experienced past her two and a half years, or perhaps it is simply her innate childish compassion shining through - I'm not sure, but I cherish her kindness in these moments.

The words that most made me laugh recently came while we were getting ready to head outside the other day.  I like to read the girls French stories (which Ariel likes) and casually throw in some French words into our every day conversation when I can.  So, as we were getting ready, I asked Ariel to put her arm in her coat sleeve:  "Mets ton bras! Pousse!"
She looked at me, and said (in quite a bossy tone I might add), "Stop making strange noises!  No mommy, stop talking."  I'm glad she relates so strongly with her mother tongue, but we may have to work on demystifying the "strange noises".

Ariel:  her heart full after Valentine's Day at Preschool

Puppy Love



Cookie Love



Sister Love




You may find it strange to see Elyse sitting on two stacked bin containers flipped upside down.  Well!  This is therapy!  She is learning to bear some weight on her little legs, and lean over for a toy.  New vantage point/positioning = good!




No comments:

Post a Comment