This year's World Down Syndrome Day was full of friendships, new and old; those are silver; these are gold! (as the adage goes...it rhymes...I couldn't resist)
We all got up bright and early to watch our friend and DSAH president Jen and her son Owey on tv! Check it out!
Then, Ariel stayed home from Preschool; Dan went into work late; and we all headed as a family to visit Cristina's Tortina cupcake shop in Brampton. Below are the photos we took of some of the people (and kids!) who came out from the Hamilton area to show their support.
The owner, Mary - whom we met - has a lovely daughter named Cristina, who also happens to have Down syndrome. As I mentioned before, Mary mainly employs individuals who have special needs, such as DS or autism, in her shop.
Our visit was a success; though I'm afraid the large crowds caused some of the workers to go on strike. Even with her shop bursting, Mary maintained her easy-going, carefree attitude. She said her employees refusal to cooperate didn't bother her one bit. She is a compassionate human being, that goes without saying. I hope Elyse can work for her someday.
Later, in the evening, I hosted a fundraiser Pampered Chef party, and invited all of our new friends, and, of course, those goldies we've known for a while. The premise was to raise money for the Down Syndrome Association of Hamilton (DSAH), as somewhat of a 'thank you' to DSAH for all that it has done for us and many others; and also I had to seize the opportunity to host one last party in our house, before we move and say good-bye.
From every Pampered Chef purchase made, 25% will go to DSAH. As of this morning, it looks like we raised $430! I hope everyone had as much fun as I did. Thank you, to those who could, for coming out and supporting a great cause as well as creating a fun evening! Thanks also to those behind the scenes, driving up those numbers with your online purchases! You are the true unsung heroes.
As the crowds left, and the dust settled; I couldn't help but feel a quiet sense of gratitude and warmth for the friendships we have made and for my sweet daughter Elyse. She may be but one child with Down syndrome to the world, but she means the world to me.
'Choices' crowd
Owen and Jennifer Crowson
Alex & Ingrid Muschta (with Max in tow)
Benjamin and Jack, oler toddler siblings and Ariel playmates
Mary, the owner of Cristina's Tortina, giving Elyse a sticker
Jack & Max, Ariel & Elyse: Sibling Power, and future advocates
The whole crew, excited for cupcakes!










No comments:
Post a Comment