Not a creature was stirring, not even the dogs. (who love to stir things up)
Dan has been away for what feels like months (just over a week, actually), and so it truly has been quiet around here most evenings. However quiet tonight feels, there is a palpable electric charge in the air akin to only the most special of occasions.
While most parents celebrated (or mourned) the start of school today, our little family had one more day to wait.
Both Ariel and Elyse will be starting Preschool tomorrow morning: I cannot believe it. The fact that Elyse is no longer a baby still shocks me, and the realization that this is Ariel's last year mostly at home - before entering big kid school - sends me into a state of mixed emotions. Pride that she's becoming such a big girl, and miss independent, coupled with Grief that my oldest baby is moving on into the next stage of life - away from me.
I feel completely unprepared for tomorrow; though the girls' bags are packed, and I know where to go (right across the street!) I know I'm going to have a hard time falling asleep tonight, but it's not as if staying up late will delay the matter of my children growing up.
The best I can do, that any of us can do, is rejoice in who they are right now, and try to be in the moment. Here are a few of my favourite moments from recently:
Watching Elyse use Sumo to try and pull herself to stand
Right before we were scheduled to walk out the door, looking around the corner to see that Ariel has dumped out every single bin with every single toy that she owns so that she could make herself a castle to live in
Taking the time to wash, brush and braid Elyse's beautiful long hair
Hosting a flying princess in our kitchen
There are a few more moments from this point in time I'd like to capture with words:
There's the way Ariel insists on wearing jammies most of the day, or only her underwear or bathing suit; and how she uses her imagination to make up stories all day long that she tells to herself, her rubber duckies and any other stuffed animal who will listen. The way she's taken on an air of defiance that only a toddler can pull off, but is happily and almost easily dissuaded from her stance when the more appealing option of watching Curious George episodes is presented. Counting to three has also taken on a new meaning...she never lets me get there, because the threat of being placed in her room is very real, though she'll happily go for down time there after lunch for an hour or so. It's all in the context.
Most of all right now, I think I enjoy watching Ariel play make-believe. She was playing with her grocery cart the other day, and while pushing the cart along, turned to her sister and said in her motherese voice, "Are you going to be a good little monkey? If you're a good little monkey, you can get out of the cart and walk!" I was further amused when she turned to me and asked the same question.
She wants to be a grown up, and do the things I do. A while ago, she started using the term 'needles' in place of the word 'nipples', much to Dan and I's amusement. Ariel then informed me, matter-of-factly, that when she was older she was going to feed her sister with her needles, just like mommy. We got the facts sorted out.
Then there is Elyse whose actions speak louder than words. Elyse always seems to provide some comic relief when we least expect it. Dan and I will be chatting, and Elyse will pipe up with a timely laugh that will send us all into fits. She recognizes so many words, which allows her to participate in conversations without saying much out loud. Mention the word kiss, and she makes kissing sounds that are to die for. The same for 'brush your teeth', she mimes the action, as well as makes a spider that goes up the water spout.
Elyse is becoming a real little monkey, and wants to pull to stand on me every chance she can get. Recently, without actually crawling, she's discovered how to get herself around the room with a series of rolls and thrusts, where she propels herself through various intricate positions. That kid is determined, I tell you. She is going to go far.
Now I've managed to fulfill the prophesy and keep myself up late writing!!! Time for bed. Part two to come After.



No comments:
Post a Comment