Thursday, 6 November 2014

The real world

Every 3.6 seconds, one person dies of starvation (usually under the age of 5).  Across the globe, some 300 million children go to bed hungry every day.  To give you a rough idea of the scope of that problem - this past year - Canada's population only reached 35 million.

In fact, after I did a bit more digging, there are more hungry people in the world than the combined populations of:  Canada, the U.S., and the European union.  That is a staggering, heavy statistic to take in.

Issues of 'hunger' aren't really my area of expertise, but I do sometimes STOP, take in a breath of fresh air, and look around at what's really going on in the world.  I think of my two girls who have a family that love them; who will always have their basic needs of:  food, water, shelter and love met, and I know that they, WE, are so lucky.  It is amazing to live in Canada and enjoy the privileges we do.  I don't want to ever take my life for granted.  Elyse has Down syndrome, and to some that may seem like the end of the world.  But it's really, really not.  There are so many people who have much more pressing issues at hand - like survival.

The issue of hunger really does hit close to home.  Every month, close to 900,000 Canadians are assisted by food banks.

So what's an easy way to help?  If you are involved or affiliated with any kind of group, why not raise food for a food bank this holiday season - or any time for that matter?  Individual donations help as well.

As the Holiday Party organizer for HDSA, I've made it part of our plans to give back to the community that has been so generous and giving to us.  We will be running a food drive at our party and asking all members to bring a canned food donation or two.

I came across a great list of food donation ideas that I'd like to share with you:

Here is a list of some of the most needed types of food that the Daily Bread Food Bank is looking for:
  • Peanut Butter
  • Baby Formula and Food
  • Canned Fruits or Vegetables
  • Canned Fish or Meat
  • Dried Pasta and Tomato Sauce
  • Rice
  • Lentils
  • Cans of Soup or Hearty Stew
  • Powdered, Canned or Tetra Pak Milk
  • Cans of Beans
  • Macaroni and Cheese
Thanks for reading!

Sources:

No comments:

Post a Comment