I used to harbour the worry that if I shared any negative stories about Elyse that some lurker would come out of the shadows and mock me, "See - I told you so! You should never have had her.", or equally as painful, someone viewing my daughter as a burden, and me as the object of pity.
I know there are lurkers out there, because I hear stories about them, but now I know better than to listen; in fact I would have a whole lot to say in return.
But way back, I didn't want to provide one ounce of ammunition that could be fired back at me, at my child. I feared if I complained, I left myself vulnerable, and open to interpretation.
So let me be perfectly clear.
I have since stopped trying to hide Elyse's imperfections; they are sometimes plain in her behaviour for all of the world to see. Trying to justify her behaviour only serves to satisfy the curiosity of others, and I'll have no part in it. Elyse is who she is. She is an imperfect little person, just like me, just like you. She's a work in progress, as are all of my children. They are kids, who still have growing up to do. Elyse is human. She makes mistakes, but not as many as me, and the adults around her. I have long since stopped trying to pretend she's perfect. She's not. Anyone who tries to paint that picture of her, in all her saintliness, does her a disservice. No human is a saint. No child, an angel.
And please. Don't worry about me - I'm absolutely fine! Don't pity me because I have three kids, and we're out walking in the rain. I love the rain, and I love my kids - all three of them that we CHOSE to have. There are no mistakes. Not in this family. Unless, of course, you genuinely make a mistake - then that's okay. We're only human, right?:)
See the awesomeness in your life. The universe will conspire to help you.
My awesomeness: leaf throwing on our way home from school yesterday:
Geared up for the rain today
Jumping monkey in the middle
We have all felt at one point or another that we need to justify our child's behaviour because of the jjudgment of others.... that behaviour may be anything from a tantrum in public to not sharing and all the other blah blah blah... the first person I always check in with is myself. Am I OK with this behaviour? If I am not, what can I do to either adjust my own thinking//expectations or take it as an "in our family..." teaching moment. Most of the time it's my own expectations that are too high, but you an i are both overachievers so that makes sense ;)
ReplyDeleteFor the record, I do believe some children are actual angels... not the well behaved kind, but the ones with old wise souls who are here to teach us some kind of important lesson...