Sunday, 4 November 2012

False Alarm?!

Throughout the day today, I had a few contractions that I didn't really think much of.  There would be one every couple hours or so - no big deal.
Fast forward to dinner time.  Dan, Ariel and I headed to The Purdham's for our routine Sunday Family Dinner gathering.  By the time we got there, I had started to notice a few contractions picking up, and by the end of dinner, I had over 30 mini contractions over the course of an hour and a half that did not seem to be letting up.
After dinner (I was hungry!), we called 'Labour and Delivery', and at their advice took off for the hospital right away, leaving Ariel with Dan's parents.  I even had 4 or 5 contractions while talking to them on the phone.
By the time we got to the hospital, I went to the bathroom, and was seen by a nurse, the contractions had stopped!  I couldn't believe it.  We were getting geared up for baby to come!  They checked me and the baby, and we are both doing well - no worries.
As it turns out, I am 2 cm dilated, but with no real reason to stay at the hospital, we are all safely back at home.
I have had a few light contractions since returning to casa Purdham...so we'll have to see how the evening unfolds!  Dan and I are hoping to get a decent night's sleep after getting up with Ariel this morning sometime around 4am.
When I went into labour with Ariel, I had light contractions for 12 hours, then my water broke in the middle of the night, and the REAL contractions came on very strong.  Two hours later she was born, so the hospital does not take my contractions lightly - nor do I!  Second births are generally faster, regardless, and apparently when there are issues with the fetus, as in our case, these births tend to happen faster as well.  I practically had my legs crossed leaving Dan's parents house, hoping the baby wouldn't fall out!
Thankfully, that was not the case.  The very fact that I am able to sit here typing this post shows I am not in any kind of true labour at this point or even close to delivering a baby.  I am 36 weeks pregnant tomorrow!  We'll see what the night holds!

2 comments:

  1. most exciting family dinner night ever. hope you got some sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 36 weeks today! Closer to full term all the time.

    ReplyDelete