Tuesday, 21 October 2014

31-for-21: Geez

As a mother of two young children, and previous grade one teacher, I have mastered the art of not yelling out profanities.  I was never much of a curser to begin with, but there are certain situations that elicit a strong reaction, and where you just want to scream out a cathartic:  S*&#!!!!!

So I have learned to adapt, as we all do, and I have a few choice words that replace the much cruder swear words little ears aren't meant to hear.

Ariel has been trying on my expressions.  Out of nowhere today, the word, "Geez!" popped out of her mouth, and I had to contain my laughter and disbelief!  Hearing my toddler say "Geez" with a hand on her hip and her head shaking, tsk-tsk, in 'annoyance' was too funny.

The use of, "Geez", which actually dates back to my mother - and maybe her mother before her - is mostly an expression of annoyance for me.  I, hopefully, don't use it THAT often.  The context for the use of the word can also be one of disbelief or to show understanding.  As in, "Geez - I can't believe that happened!" or, "Geez - that's too bad!"

Ariel nonchalantly used the term a second time at her dance class later in the day.  She had to use the washroom, and upon entering noted the toilet paper roll was low.  She loudly exclaimed, "There's no toilet paper, mom!  GEEZ!"  Then repeated the phrase again, even louder, for effect.  I couldn't hold in the laughter, and she just looked at me and said, "What?"

***

As an endnote, see how the view from our kitchen window has changed since we moved into our new home in May.

Then:

Spring

Now:
Fall

You may also notice our neighbours added some privacy shrubs! hahaha




No comments:

Post a Comment