Granted the temperature may have dipped close to freezing last night - with the heating, rising sun shining through our window - fall beckoned, and tempted us outdoors.
Outside, we were greeted by a typical sunny, windy, fall day. An unmistakable chill in the air was present, but not uncomfortable with all of our layers. I bundled the girls up in warm sweaters, hats and coats, and we headed downtown for some adventures.
Georgetown has a great health food store called Health-e Nut, that is completely vegetarian and vegan-friendly with its meat-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, au naturel to the max menu selection. I have to admit, my first experience there wasn't all moonlight and roses. The broccoli chowder made me want to ralph with its nut-base, in place of cream, BUT the veggie wrap I had was amazing!!! So, I dared return there today, and the girls and I tried a delicious naturally sweet Gogi berry shake. Apparently, the region in Northern China where the best Gogi berries come from boasts the most centenarians in China, and it is believed to be because of the dried Gogi berry properties, which includes: more iron than steak, more potassium than bananas, and more minerals than any other food that is agriculturally produced by man. I'm not making this stuff up! There was a brochure.
Anyway, with Gogi shake in tow, we moved on to Heather's bakery, and scored some delicious and festively decorated iced turkey and pumpkin cookies. From health store to bakery - I can't quite fully commit to one or the other, so I choose both. We wrapped our yummy cookies to go, and ventured to the library next.
Nearing noon, the library was a ghost town. We had time for several stories, greeted a few friends, and were on our way. We visited all of our favourite places downtown - except the Early Years Centre. Another day.
I have very fond childhood memories of my own visits to the library with my mother, and our occasional stops at Saint-cinnamon that used to be right across the street. All of those times we spent reading together are a cornerstone of my childhood.
On our walk back home, what struck me was just how lucky I am to be home with our girls. After building lego castles, and trains to start our day, we were now out seizing the best part of the day. I get to spend my time being with the two little people I love the most. How great is that. These simple days evoke so much joy and happiness. Just me and my toddlers, out for a morning stroll. Life doesn't get much better than this, I thought. I can see why many people tell me that raising their young kids was the best time of their lives, and how they miss those days once they've past. Today (because there are those other days as well - the nasty ones!), but for today especially, I wish my girls would stay just as they are forever. With Ariel creeping up on three and a half, and Elyse about to turn two, I once again have the sense that these blissful days, this mornings out on the town, of Ariel, Elyse and I are coming to a close. Ariel will be off to school next year, after all.
Dan arrived home from Vancouver late last night, after being gone since Saturday. Though I don't have to do it that often, being home by yourself with two kids can be daunting and especially draining. He stuck around this morning to greet our children, before once again heading out the door for work, and I know the sacrifice he makes, and I'm grateful for it. He acknowledges my sacrifices as well, which I'm also grateful for. He's also the kind of man who watched the kids, put them to bed, and then cleaned the whole house while I went out to a meeting tonight. He's a keeper.
So much to be thankful for as we head into this holiday Thanksgiving long weekend! Best wishes to you and yours, and thank YOU for reading!
I'll leave you with a couple photos of this cutie today, who wiggled her way into the kitchen:



No comments:
Post a Comment