Friday, 10 October 2014

31-for-21: Speaking Up

Last school year, I was invited by Dan's cousin - a high school teacher - to visit her Grade 11 Biology class and talk to them about Elyse, our story, and Down syndrome.  Giving the talk was the first time I stood up in front of a group of people to tell our story, and it was empowering.  I could see their faces light up, and one of the students asked afterwards about getting involved in his local Buddy Walk, which was humbling and inspiring all at once.

After my piece '21 Reasons Why I Love My Baby With Down Syndrome' ran in the paper, I was contacted by a local church that ran a weekly women's group with guest speakers.  I graciously accepted to share our story, and spoke to about 60 women.  We had a very engaging question and answer period at the end of the talk, and I appreciated those women's honesty, and the stories they offered to me in return.  

Thanks to Ariel's former preschool teacher, I've been offered the opportunity to present our story and talk about Down syndrome to all of the Co-op Preschool Teachers in Hamilton, during their Professional Development day this coming November 11th.  Though public speaking is not something that I find particularly easy, or that I'm overly comfortable with, it is an avenue I'm keen to go down on the road to advocating for Elyse, and for all of those with Down syndrome.

When I present, I think it's nice to include a video, and inspired by my sister-in-law Medrie's latest blog, where she made reference to the film Monica & David - the story of a couple in their first year of marriage who have Down syndrome - I thought I would share a link that I used in my first presentation that I find helpful in explaining and delivering accurate information about Down syndrome.  The video is geared toward high school students, but delivers a powerful message that is relevant for anyone and everyone to hear.  I know I have shared this before at some point, but some messages are worth repeating.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment