Monday, 14 October 2013

Day 14: Thanksgiving Part 2 - Gratitude

How befitting, that on Thanksgiving day, I should open the book I am reading and find myself on the very page beginning the chapter entitled, "Gratitude".  As I read on, the message clearly laid out by the authors is to remember to appreciate what is right in front of you.  Be thankful for what you have.  There are those who have so much less.

***

This year's Thanksgiving Gathering:

Ariel waiting idly for our guests to arrive.  Licking a lolly given to her gratis by the store clerk and watching her new favourite movie, The Little Mermaid.  

This afternoon, we were out playing in the backyard.  In response to my request to come in for dinner, Ariel replied,  "No, I don't want dinner.  I will watch The Little Mermaid."  I don't know whose child she is, but you will never hear the words I don't want dinner come from my mouth.

Grandpa McFarlane - looking good:)

Grandma McFarlane and Dan cooking up a storm

Elyse at play

Auntie Stacy and Sophie showing off her latest trick:  the pointing finger that likes to go up noses!

Cousins at play

Uncle Brad

Auntie snuggle

Uncle Sean and Isla

The GOBBLE GOBBLE CHALLENGE!

For whatever reason, let's call it 'FUN', after Elyse woke at 5am for her morning breastfeed and went back to sleep, I decided to get up and create a scavenger hunt, which I called the GOBBLE GOBBLE CHALLENGE, for my older nieces and nephews.  In the past, we have done some themed crafts and activities together before dinner, and I wanted to take advantage of the kids willingness to participate in my kooky ideas before they have outgrown them (and me!)

So, at 6 am, I was typing and gluing and taping and scheming my way through an elaborate Scavenger Hunt for the kids.  It took me three hours to create, from start to finish, and it was SO worth it!  There were ten clues, with some extra puzzles, and balloon popping and dog corralling in between.  We, I mean the kids, had a great time!  My two favourite photos are the first one where I captured Kianna's enthusiastic, "Yesss!" after finding the first clue; and the picture where Julian is posing as a turkey in response to the final clue.

Kianna:  "Yessssss!"

Finding the next clue, where treasures are kept

In the meantime, Ariel followed Kianna and Julian around saying, "Kianna!  Kianna!"  Somehow these two came together for this photo during the Challenge, but it wasn't until later that they held hands and jumped up and down together, and that Ariel chanted, "Isla, Isla..."

Next clue

Tilly and Auntie Alexis

Putting together the puzzle that will lead them straight to the dogs

Grandma & Elyse playing with Sophie & Auntie Stacy

Dogs in play.  Oreo being accosted.  Little did Kianna and Julian know it was Sumo, the BIG guy, who held the clue they needed

Ariel, never too far behind - have you noticed?  They found this clue by popping a red balloon that contained its secret location

Julian excelled at clue reading, and Kianna was the master problem solver.  They had to colour a turkey blue, which lead them to the freezer for their next clue.  Ariel and Isla did the colouring.

I wish I had captured every clue, but here is the moment of truth.  The final envelope says:  "Congratulations Turkeys!", which Julian appreciated and embodied here.

Their instructions were to use the letters contained in each envelope to solve the final puzzle:  Happy Thanksgiving!  With a twist...they had to rearrange extra letters on the back to know to see their auntie for a special bag of treats:)  I was impressed with their ability to navigate through the Challenge - very well done.

Father and son

Ariel deciphering clues

Isla busy with the toys

Jack asleep.  Too much action for this little lamb.

Beautiful couple pic!  These two like each other a lot (they have 4 kids!) :)

Meal time

The chocolate ice cream turkey cake:  a perfect ending to a very sweet day!

*Family abroad who were absent from this year's celebration in body, but never in mind nor spirit:  Aiden, Grandma and Grandad Purdham, Medrie, Mark and Rowan.  We missed you and love you all!

1 comment: