It was my first time having Elyse with me while I picked up and dropped off Ariel at Preschool. I am usually spoiled by getting some form of help at either end - both if I'm lucky. When he's home, Dan will usually rock Elyse to sleep for me on Preschool days, while I take Ariel (he can do this surprisingly quickly, and in the middle of his work day!), and he'll start feeding Elyse her lunch that I prepare while I go back to pick Ariel up.
This morning, I managed just fine on my own (thank you very much); but in the middle of preparing lunch on the hot, hot stove for the girls, with Ariel playing and Elyse in her high chair, I momentarily popped outside, through the sliding glass doors, out onto our back deck, and into the drizzling rain to grab some fresh oregano from our garden to throw into the pasta I was making. I made sure to close the door tightly, as Ariel was hot on my heels.
Lo and behold, a new 'first': I tried the door handle to get back in and Ariel had learned how to lock the door! (Hooray!) If you could have seen the look of panic on my face as I helplessly scanned the scene: a sizzling pan of oil and vegetables cooking on the stovetop, over to Elyse in her highchair, waiting defenselessly and patiently for her meal; back over to Ariel, oblivious to what she had done, playing near the small chairs she likes to drag over to the kitchen counter.
Being alone in the house during the day time often enough with two small children, I ALWAYS keep all of the doors to the house locked. Thankfully, I was able to calmly keep my wits about the situation, knowing very well that, when I ran around to the front of the house, I could get in through the keypad garage door. Scary, but no harm done.
To end our day off with another first, I packed the kids into the car at bedtime (the things we do for the ones we love) to attend our first of Dan's soccer games of the season! Dan and I drove separately, and I just got word that his team ended up winning their playoff game, and will make it to the Championship Game next week! By gracing them with our fan presence, we obviously brought the team good luck. :)
Being out at the game may have been wet, and it may have been cold, and Ariel and Elyse may have both fallen asleep in the car on the way to the game; but we still had some fun and it was nice to put a face to Dan's teammates. I especially wanted to come out and support the team so they could meet Elyse, as they all so generously donated to a collection for Team Elyse and our Buddy Walk. Thanks guys, and way to go! Good luck winning the title!
Both girls are now sleeping peacefully; and for the first time today, I can finally relax. :)
I snapped this photo of Ariel this morning on our way out the door to Preschool. They are learning about colours over the next few weeks, and were asked to wear RED this week.

No comments:
Post a Comment