Saturday, 1 October 2016

31-for-21: A Better World for Everyone

Every year, as I gear up to take part in the 31-for-21 Challenge, writing every day for the month of October to raise awareness about Down syndrome, I think about what it means to me, and why I do it.  The answer is simple:  to spread the love I have for our daughter, Elyse.  Being a parent to a child with Down syndrome doesn't get easier with time - I wish I could tell you it did - but neither does being a parent.  There are challenging days with my children, and days when I'm full of pride; worries that weigh me down, and countless joys.  Ups and downs, smiles and frowns.  There are obstacles to overcome, but we are a family, and I wouldn't choose our life any other way.
There have been some big changes for our family this past year, or really this past summer.  We lost a beloved pet.  We moved homes.  Elyse is now a big sister!!!  And we have plans to cruise around the world.  Dan took 3 months paternity leave (#summerofDanitsover), and I'm on what seems like eternal mat leave:  focusing on family, reading, writing, back to jogging.  And so life feels much as it should.
Whoever you are reading this:  family, facebook friends, others from within the Ds community, new friends or old; by joining in, we are all part of a larger social movement aiming to improve the lives of persons with disabilities.
A friend of mine, Valerie Tih, within the Ds community, summed it up like this:
"We are part of a civil rights movement. The parents that went before us, brought the torch quite far (closed down institutions, open school doors, etc.), now we grab on to the torch and take it a little further. It sucks ass sometimes - and we need to do the radical self-care like you are modelling Jessica (reaching out!! Taking in support). But together, I think we are making a better world for everyone, not just our kids."
I could not agree more.  There are days when I will need to stand up and fight for what I believe is right for Elyse, and those days will be difficult.  But, it will be as much for her sake, as for the benefit of her peers.  
Thank you for reading, and continuing the forward momentum by believing in creating a better world for everyone.
my inspiration

4 comments: