I'm always amazed how receptive other people are when I reach out to them for support in the simplest of ways. I offer a piece of myself - the fact that my middle daughter has Down syndrome, and in return, people listen to what I have to say about her. They listen, and, by doing so, show they care. The power in that conversation is the greatest gift.
Every October, as I blog daily about our lives, and often that means talking about Down syndrome, I also quietly make it my goal to spread the word away from the screen. It's all very good and well to write about Elyse having Down syndrome with my face behind a computer, but it's quite another to tell her story in person, and I'm often caught off guard by the emotional impact doing so can still have on me from time to time.
I'm thinking about all of this, because I shared my blog with a few new groups of women - whom I would consider yummy mommies - over the past few days.
This morning, with sleeping Penelope strapped to my chest, I asked my fellow mambo mommies if I could get a group photo after class. I mentioned I may need some material for my blog, which lead to further discussion, and before I knew it, I was talking about Elyse, and the fact she has Down syndrome, and that it's Down syndrome awareness month in the US (we celebrate in Canada on the first week of November). When I got to the part specifically about Elyse having Down syndrome, for whatever reason I almost couldn't hold it together. My eyes swelled, but I didn't cry and I wasn't sad. I think my heart was just filled to bursting. I feel such a mix of pride and love every time I talk about her, as well, in my openness, a sort of humility, that emotion overcomes me.
What so many people don't know is how having a child with Down syndrome can have such a positive impact on your life - Elyse has had such a positive impact on mine.
I think the greatest tribute I can pay to Elyse, and to all of my children, is to be the best role model I can. To get up every day, find and feel that smile, and be the person I want to be. I strive for yummy mommy-ness; I set goals and push myself to get there (often falling flat on my face along the way), and my daughters are huge motivators. To be moms, we all need to find inner strength. My other greatest source of strength (besides my husband), are all the wonderful women that surround my life: family, friends, those reading my blog.
So, here's to you my fellow yummy mommies! Thanks for listening.
Mambo mommies
Hey Canada! Did you know it's Canadian Down Syndrome Week Nov.1 - 7th?! Check out the Canadian Down Syndrome Society's website www.cdss.ca for more info
Check out these two cuties in their CDSW t-shirts (en français!)
Tea with moms from the school and lil Pea
Honorary yummy mommy - my husband, aka superdad
No comments:
Post a Comment