It's Friday night! Woo! We have three sleeping children upstairs, and we're watching the Toronto Blue Jays in the American League Championship Series. This calls for nachos!
Dan and I have an unofficial standing date night on Fridays, that rarely plays itself out - unless you count folding laundry as a date... or putting children to bed late and then falling asleep yourself as a date...or working through your bills and finances (Baaahhh, that's me gouging my eyes out).
Tonight though, we committed to the cause of us and relaxation. We would have our date night, and there would be nachos. Dan almost didn't make it. During storytime with the kids, he crashed hard, and out came the garbled words to Beauty and the Beast, as he became less and less coherent. "Daddy, wake up!" Ariel complains. I knew it was time I stepped in, or we were heading for catastrophe. Off go the lights, and Elyse and I settled into our little night-time routine as of late, which involves me gently stroking her forehead. Usually, in less than a minute, she's out. The funny thing is, she strokes my hand back while I'm doing it, and falls asleep that way, hand suspended in the air.
Back to nacho night. Huge thanks go out to Janette Walcott who has forever changed the way we make late night nachos. It was all because of that one fateful day, back when I was still teaching, and our classrooms were side by side, and she told me she was heading to the staff room to bake nachos. WHAT?!? That's genius! I thought with my stomach. Then I learned her method of putting sour cream and salsa on beforehand, and baking said toppings with the melting cheese. Let me tell you...mmm, delish! Janette was kind enough to share that day, and it's revolutionized the way we've made nachos at home ever since.
Long live nacho night!
No comments:
Post a Comment