Every Saturday, as part of mine and new baby's wellness, I run out the door to prenatal yoga for an hour and a half and Dan takes care of Ariel. He does this happily, and asks for nothing in return. I realize taking care of ones own child is not exactly saint-worthy material, but he certainly knows how to make the most of his time with her when its just the two of them.
Today when I came home from yoga, Ariel and Dan had been playing all morning. Her mood was so uplifted from her time with her father that she was giving out kisses to all in her path. (This continued into our day, and she offered kisses to a little girl in Chapters we had just met)
I mentioned before that Ariel has not been sleeping well these days. Huge understatement. Last night was her first night in her new room, and she woke up in the middle of the night and would not settle back down to sleep. Dan got up to tend to her and slept in her room to get her (and us) through the night - no problem.
Tonight, I have been busy planning and setting up for a baby shower I am hosting tomorrow. Among other tasks, to help out Dan moved all the furniture, raked all the leaves and tidied outside. He went with me to pick up a couple last minute things, and was the one who ran out in the rain to get them for me.
As I am writing this, Dan is installing some blinds in the basement before he starts doing some work on his second job. Yes, he is working two jobs partly out of the enjoyment and challenge each brings, and mostly so that we can afford for me to take time off of work to help raise our family. Tonight, he is hanging blinds after already having bathed and put Ariel to bed, made soup for tomorrow, done the laundry and washed and put all the dishes away. I'm starting to feel inadequate! (blame it on the pregnancy)
What I feel most grateful for about my loving husband is not just that he helps out A LOT, but that we are on the exact same page when it comes to mostly everything in life - especially our children. Family means everything to him. From day One, when we found out that our child would be born with Down syndrome, neither of us ever considered that there was a decision to be made about the life of our child. We both have always felt very strongly that our child is our child no matter what diagnosis or challenge comes at us. Family is family, and nothing could change that for us.
I admire my husband for being the caring, loving man and father that he is, and I can't wait to see him holding our new daughter in his arms.
Kisses for Everyone!
Finding a quiet place to read "Brown Bear, Brown Bear" under the stairs after nap
"Birrrrrd, Baaaa (says the sheep), (f)ish, sssh (for horse)" the words were flying out of this girl's mouth today!
Helping daddy rake the leaves









No comments:
Post a Comment