Saturday, 17 October 2015

Ariel - kid logic

I've hardly dedicated enough time, this 31-for-21 Blogging Challenge, to one of my favourite subjects.

She's about 3 feet tall, weighs under 40 pounds, and sends Dan and I into fits of laughter.

On our way home from Active Start (a family program through Special Olympics), Ariel asked if she could watch tv when we got home.

"Hmm..."  I said.  "Do you think you've already watched a little bit of tv today or a lot of tv?"

She refused to answer the question, instead she would simply restate her question in its various forms, "Can I watch tv?  Just one more show!  Pleeeeease!"

I told her if she'd already watched a lot of tv, which she had, then maybe it would be best to do something else once we got home.

That drew an answer out of her, "I only watched a little bit of tv this morning!" she said.

"Ah-huh."

"Elyse," I asked, "Did you watch a little bit of tv this morning, or a lot of tv."  Elyse, who tends to repeat the last words we say to her now, repeated an approximation of "a lot."

"That's right - a lot!" I said.

Then I teased Ariel a bit.  I told her, "Elyse told the truth.  We did watch a lot of tv this morning.  I think because Elyse told the truth, that she should get to watch tv when we go home."  I fully intended to get out lego for them both when we walked in the door.  Ariel dropped the subject.

We left things there, and continued on our drive back home from Oakville.

A full 15 minutes later, as though she'd been working this one through, Ariel announced:

"I watched a lot of tv too this morning," pause, "so I think I should watch one more!"

Classic Ariel.  That girl has an answer for everything.  Dan and I looked at each other and cracked up.

I love how she vies for extra time at the end of the night, pressing for "a chat," or asking questions during storytime, or seeking one last kiss from mom.  When Dan reads to her before bed, she often insists he go back several pages so she may ask questions about what it is they're reading together. Dan calls this one of her stall tactics.

I watched her in action last night, "Actually, dad, can you please turn back a couple of pages.  Yes, there, that's the one."  She wanted to further explore the "Y" for Yeti page in Elyse's custom name book.  Dan and I giggled, in spite of ourselves, over the seriousness in her four-year-old tone.

"Actually, I don't like Big Foots." she announced.

"But yetis are okay?" Dan mused.

"Yes, yetis are okay." Ariel said.

Figure that one out.

Here's our beauty at the culmination of her preschool years:




No comments:

Post a Comment