Wednesday, 7 October 2015

Keep the Old

Tonight was bring-a-friend week at Ariel's dance class.  She chose to bring Madeleine.  Amy chose to bring Rachel.  The four fast friends met each other in preschool last year.  Over the summer, we kept in touch with these four families through regularly scheduled play dates on Monday mornings at a local park.  Whoever could make it that week would show up.
The girls each started JK this year - sadly - in different schools.  Tonight, they united in a touching display of camaraderie for one more dance - a throw back, perhaps, to their juvenile selves.

Make new friends, but keep the old...

After picking Ariel up from the bus stop this afternoon, we walked home and through the door before she shared some groundbreaking news with me.  We unpacked her bag, had a little snack, and then she spoke up.

"I have a new best friend, mom."  she said.

I paused, not wanting her revelation to end.  I rarely get any insights into Ariel's private life.

"Oh yeah, that's great!" I said.

"Her name is Anna, and she's my best friend! she said.

"Did you play with her at recess?" I asked.

"Yes, I played with her inside, and outside." she said.

I determined Anna was a JK in her class, and then I asked, "Why is she your best friend?"

"Because I love her." she said.

Well..that..is just..wonderful.

Those are silver, these are Gold.

I do hope Ariel will continue to be able to make new friends, while keeping in touch with "the old".  We really miss you guys!









No comments:

Post a Comment