Saturday, 20 October 2018

Back on the Horse

It's been almost a week since I last ran.  I feel like a wild pony stuck in the body of a lame horse. 
The strain a body endures while running a marathon creates damage at the cellular level, in the form of millions of micro-tears in the muscles.  Your hormones are out of whack.  Your immune system is compromised.  Your body depleted of glycogen and nutrients.  Now that I'm feeling a bit better, I have to remind myself, Easy Girl - tread lightly.
If running the marathon left me feeling numb, I'm now coming back into my running senses.  I headed out for my first post-marathon run today, a slow and steady trot.  I spotted a trail near our home I wanted to explore, and so it was an easy four kilometers.
I have most definitely felt the effects of pushing my body to its physical limit this week.  The first two days after our race, I could barely walk.  I limited trips up and down the stairs, which became near impossible, and cringed even thinking about lowering myself onto the toilet.  My legs sporadically gave out, causing me to walk around like I'm on ice.  I experienced headaches, nausea, loss of appetite, and fatigue.  An acquaintance asked me, "So why did you do it?"
I can't really answer that, other than to say I like to set challenging goals for myself.  I think the ultimate answer is, because I can.  One day, I won't be able to.
I do recognize though, in retrospect, that if I compare running to eating - two activities I enjoy - I can appreciate a good meal without having to indulge in the whole buffet.  I don't need to become a glutton to feel satiated, and the marathon was a decadent feast, all-you-can-eat.  I'm not sure I'll ever need to feel that full again.
Though I know without a doubt, despite my inner protests, my tummy will start rumbling, and I will be hungry once again.
pics from my run this morning




No comments:

Post a Comment