The two of us head home after that, arriving in plenty of time to cook before noon. I didn't plan it out this way, but I find that preparing a meal or tasty snack is a good way to start off my week. Not being known as one who loves to cook, I never thought I'd write that. Of course, it makes sense. You make a large batch on Mondays, and you have leftovers for the rest of the week, or freeze for later.
I've made seven vegetable soup, red lentil soup, chicken stew, chicken quinoa soup, butternut squash soup, and oatmeal chocolate chip cookies (I freeze the dough balls for later). I'm like a squirrel storing up for winter.
This morning, right after gymnastics, Penelope and I had to do a big grocery shop. There was no time over the weekend, and the fridge was looking pretty bare. I figured I probably wouldn't make something because we'd be getting home closer to lunch time.
Then, I forgot my grocery list, and it was a free-for-all. I grabbed one of everything.
I got home to find I had purchased a third large bag of carrots, and so it was time to make carrot soup. But then I remembered Ariel's favourite muffins - the sweet potato chocolate chip kind (Mel's secret recipe!) - and I had to bake those as well.
I've never made carrot soup before, but I have now. That might be one of the greatest joys of Maker Mondays, trying out a new recipe. Forget it - eating takes the cake.
And that is exactly how I spent a most delicious afternoon (cooking - not just eating).
Official taste tester
Carrot Ginger Soup (vegan! coconut milk instead of cream - delish!)
Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip muffins




No comments:
Post a Comment