Wednesday, 24 October 2018

Great Aunts

Quite often, I blog about my immediate family, our siblings, and parents.  But the Purdham/Freiler, McFarlane/Hunt family goes deeper than that.
I want to put a shout out there to my aunts, aunts-in-law, those who have come and gone included, for a few reasons.  Because they have been there not only for me and Dan, but for our girls.  Because I know a few are going through rough times right now, and I want to keep them in my thoughts, and let them know I'm sending positive vibes their way.  And, if I may add, because I'm reading Gloria Steinem (My Life on the Road), and women's rights, and strong women in general are on my mind - and let me tell you:  we've got some pretty strong women in our families.  Hang in there.
I have some fond memories involving our aunts.  I remember my aunt Nadine pulling me aside at a Christmas family gathering before I moved in with my university boyfriend.
"He doesn't expect you to do all the cooking, does he?"  Whether she said this after tasting my cooking or not, doesn't really matter, what I think she meant was that she didn't want to see my talents go to waste for some man.
Then there was Dan's Aunt Lindsey, who teased me on our wedding day.
"I saw you slip him the tongue on the altar," she said, Tsk, Tsk.  I'm not sure, but I think she may have liked me more after that.
Aunts are like grown up sisters.  They look out for you, rally for you when you need it, but keep you down to earth, because they still remember the dorky things you did as a little kid.  My aunts, and Dan's aunts, have brought great joy to my life.
One last thing.  I am shocked by how few pictures I have of my aunties!  I scrolled through thousands of photos, and apparently my kids are the most interesting people on the planet.  I don't regret a single shot, but what I do regret is not taking more pictures of our aunts, uncles and cousins!  All those wonderful people who've been present, just shy of the foreground. 
Dearest Aunts, I hope you don't mind the spotlight today.  For those whose photos I somehow don't have, you're in my heart, and I will capture you on "film" the next time I see you.























No comments:

Post a Comment