Saturday, 6 October 2018

That Time my Husband Swore

If there's one thing you need to know about my husband it's that Dan's a Purdham, and Purdhams protect their own.
I've watched Dan defend his own, mouth agape, and this theme plays out in my memoir.

Here's an example, a story Dan recounted to me the other day.

WARNING:  explicit language

Characters:  Doctor, Dr. Dan Purdham, Woman, Other Colleague

Setting:  Pharmaceutical work event

Plot & Dialogue:
There was a misunderstanding earlier, and as Dan nears, he hears the Woman say,

"I was just telling him (the Doctor) that you (Dan) must think I'm retarded."

Exit Doctor.  Spotlight Dr. Dan and Woman.

Dan:  "Don't say that.  Don't ever say that word."

Woman:  "I know.  It's not politically correct, and I shouldn't say that."

Dan:  "I have a daughter with Down syndrome.  Not only is it not politically correct, but it's also fucking offensive."

Woman:  "I get it, I get it."
"I have a nephew with Down syndrome, and he's so special."

She carries on talking about her 25 year old nephew...

Dan waits patiently.

Dan: "I have three kids, and they're all special.  She's not more special than the other two."

Enter Other Colleague, exit Woman

Dan (to Other Colleague):  "I just told that lady off."

~The end~








No comments:

Post a Comment