Wednesday, 3 October 2018

Tears

There are people who look at me, and they see a wall of strength.  But behind that wall of strength I have a great weakness, and that weakness is my love for my children.
Somebody I care about said something to me today, pertaining to my daughter, and the venomous words stung so fiercely I instantly dissolved into tears.  I sobbed freely for quite a while - even as I type these words.  My wall crumbled, and it hurt, it hurt. 
It's hard to explain why exactly I'm so sensitive around comments that involve my daughter with Down syndrome, but I am.  I want her to have the best of everything.  The best life possible.
Words can hurt.  I'm not writing these words to shame anyone, or because I'm angry or vengeful.  I'm writing these words because I know there are other people out there who have children with Down syndrome who have been hurt by things their friends and family have said to them, too.
Even in my tears though, with my head held low, shoulders stooped sitting on the bottom step, I had a thought that allowed me to smile through my tears.  At least I have the time alone to cry right now.  That is my strength.  I am an eternal optimist.  And I won't let you get me down.



No comments:

Post a Comment