Friday, 6 October 2017

Dan is spelled D-A-N

Dan Purdham.  The one family member (furry friend aside) I have yet to write about.  A name I shouldn't easily forget - he is my husband, after all.  But there was a time and a day when I did forget his name, and then, thinking fast on my feet, casually asked him to spell it out for me.  Spell it out, he did, that he thought less of me for asking, but still, we got over it; and he has embraced my forgetfulness, and I his sarcastic manner.

If there's one thing Dan and I know how to do well it's laugh together.  We've been laughing together for almost 12 years.  We laugh at our kids, at each other, at ourselves, and the craziness otherwise frequently known as our lives.  These jokes aren't complex, or high humour.  We're talking about 'doing it with a goat' here - I kid you not.  Please allow me to explain.
In Dr. Seuss's, Green Eggs in Ham, the persistent Sam-I-am urges a kid to try green eggs and ham, to no avail.  Sam-I-am invents all kinds of wacky situations to coax the kid to just try the green eggs and ham: "Would you, could you, on a boat?  Would you, could you, with a goat?"
The 'would you, could you, with a goat' gets us every time, and these are the kinds of stories we read to our children!
'Doing it with goats' isn't that funny, unless you have someone to share it with.  Wait, what?  You know what I mean!

I have written about Dan, and written about Dan, and written about Dan.  How could I not?  He weaves in and out of every aspect of my life.  He appears in journal entries, blog posts, in my (forthcoming) book - really our book, because we don't need different books - we read off the same page.

And so today I thought I'd share with you some of what I've written about Dan, and the story of our lives.  I hope it makes you smile the same way it does for me.

Context:  I'm a 21 year-old university student, and dating a guy named 'Paul'.  Dan and I have become friends after repeatedly bumping into each other on the street while walking our dogs.  Dan doesn't know I have a boyfriend - yet.  We're meeting up for a dog walk.


Dan showed up for our walk with take-out mugs full of hot chocolate in hand – one for each 

of us.  Melted marshmallows floated on top.  The temperature outside had dropped further, 

now into the minus twenty range, and steam rose steadily from the tiny hole in the lid.  We 

were both bundled up, and his gesture filled me with a warmth beyond the contents of the 

mug.
As we rounded the block together, talking about school, and family, and friends, I knew it was time to tell him the truth, because I knew he didn’t want to just be my friend.It took me almost to the end of our walk to build up the nerve to say it, and then I blurted the words out, “I have a boyfriend.”Dan stopped walking mid-stance and turned to look at me with a dazed expression.  His jaw literally dropped in disbelief, and I turned away from his sad eyes, knowing I’d hurt him.“What!” was all he said.  He seemed angry – with me or with himself, I wasn’t completely sure.I was so thrown off by his reaction that we walked the rest of the block together in a delicate silence.  I may have mumbled something to him about walking dogs together, but then it was see you later, goodbyes, and he was gone.  I felt horrible, fearing I’d lost a truly good person from my life.  I had plans to go to the movies with Paul that night, but even as I sat beside him in the theatre, my mind was elsewhere.  Paul never walks Oreo with me – okay one time in two months, but he showed up in a leather jacket, with no gloves or hat, and complained about how cold he was the whole time.  When it came down to it, Paul didn’t take much of an interest in walking dogs with me, and that somehow translated into the bigger picture of my life and our relationship.Half way through the movie, from the corner of my eye, I caught my phone light up in my purse.  When I flipped it open, a text popped up that read simply, “I was really disappointed to hear that today, but I’ll still walk dogs with you. ~D”Well, I wish I could say that I ran out of the movie theatre and into Dan’s arms then and there - but I didn’t.  I sat there agonizing over having disappointed him, and, once again, considering my options.  The good news was:  he didn’t hate me, and he’d gone out of his way to show me that he still cared.  His text also secretly thrilled me -- how romantic, I thought, and hmm…I think this guy really likes me. If I was acting a bit off, Paul didn’t seem to notice or care.  He drove me straight home after the movie, both of us claiming to be tired from the weekend, and that was the last time we would see each other as a couple.I asked to meet Dan for a walk the next day, and strangely, I talked to him about breaking up with Paul.  I was oddly relieved to talk to my dog-walking friend openly about ‘relationships’, a subject we both had tactfully avoided while getting to know each other.  For the record, he was all for me breaking up with Paul.My mind made up, I tried phoning Paul a few times – no answer.  I messaged him to call me – no reply.  It was as if he knew I wanted to break up with him, and was avoiding the conversation.  To my annoyance, he remained MIA for the entire day.It was not until the day after that I finally got an email response from Paul.  To my delightful surprise and relief:  he broke up with me.  It’s not you, it’s me…blah, blah, blah.  To this day, Dan doesn’t let me forget that I got dumped.  When I recount the story of how we met, and get to the part about breaking up with Paul, he always corrects me with a smile, “You mean, he broke up with you – remember?”I could only laugh at my luck.  That Paul had broken up with me first made my day.  He’d beaten me to the punch.  And that he’d done so in an email spoke to his true character.  When I told Dan about the break up, we of course had to meet for an emergency dog walk to discuss the details.  He asked me to go out to lunch with him the following day.  He wasn’t taking any chances this time around, I guess.  Our lunch date marked a shift in the way we viewed each other – it was like plugging a light into the wall, illuminating an intimacy that had always been there in waiting.  We became inseparable from then on out.  We walked our dogs together several times every day, and made jokes about Shadow and Sasha – Sumo and Oreo’s neighbourhood look-a-likes – anytime one of us forgot a bag for poop and scoop, or our dog went on someone’s lawn.  “Bad dog, Sasha!” we’d remark loudly, snickering, or “This way Shadow!” rolling our eyes at each other, and stifling laughter, creating inside jokes we share to this day.

***

Let the jokes continue, Dan Purdham!




No comments:

Post a Comment