Saturday, 7 October 2017

Thanksgiving Theatrics

Every year, Dan and I host both sides of our families for Thanksgiving dinner.  Dan does all the cooking, while I play games and entertain the kids (sweet deal, right?)  In the past, there has been apple turkeys skewered with jujubes for wings, turkey crafts made from traced hands and feet, and a scavenger hunt.  Last year there was an obstacle course, and this year the kids painted Halloween masks and I asked them to put on a play.
Well, let me tell you, the performances did not disappoint!
Though there wasn't much discernible talking, per se, there were a few moments of intense drama.  In rehearsal, which I was privy too, I particularly enjoyed cousin Isla's dark pumpkin portrayal. "I'm going to KILL you all!  I am the Pumpkin of DEATH!"  This coming from a blond pixie whose pajama bottoms kept sliding off her bum because they have nothing to hold onto.
No children or pumpkins were injured in the making of our Thanksgiving production.  We did, however, sacrifice a turkey.

Please bare with me, as the following photographs have none of the polish of Lisa Tullet's beautiful takes that I have been publishing as of late.  Today's photos, rather, represent amateur photography at it's finest, right smack dab in the middle of life.  This is what Thanksgiving looks like at our house.  Enjoy:)

Getting ready

Hanging around waiting for company


The youngest two, 15 months and a year




Painting

Practicing




The performance


Five puppets at once!  A triumph, the critics are raving

The adorable cast and crew





Playtime

Partygoers


Elyse takes a break to run on the (unplugged) treadmill


Penelope being a bit of a brute again

Late night colouring








Absent from these photos, but not from our thoughts, cousins:  Julian, Aiden, Rowan and Victor.  We love you and miss you all!  Happy Thanksgiving everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment