Saturday, 21 October 2017

Girls' Night

We started off our day with Elyse's music therapy program (paid for by Halton Down Syndrome Association).  Each week, there are songs sung, instruments played, and sounds enunciated; the main goal of the class is speech production.  Penelope was enthralled.  Elyse was her usual, giggly self, singing along, and following the teacher's instructions - thoroughly enjoying her class; and Ariel became the stoic, responsible big sister, hugging Penelope on her lap, and chasing after her.  I saw her assessing the room, taking note of  the other younger children who, like her sister, have Down syndrome, and deciding she'd better behave.  She understood the class was not really for her.

Later in the day, the girls played outside while Penelope napped, and I cleaned up from lunch.  We got ready for our big night out:  making cards, gathering costumes, preparing snacks and drinks. 
The evening festivities began with a McDonald's birthday party, over dinner, for one of Elyse's classmates. Siblings were invited too, which worked out well for us.  We enjoyed ourselves, but there were a few times when I felt a bit stretched thin on my own. 
Penelope has decided the stroller really isn't very much fun anymore, and insisted on being in the playroom.  She can climb up the giant slides, just as the big kids can go down them.  Elyse made a run for the exit to the building once, which caused my blood pressure to rise, but otherwise she played with a few friends, and spent a loooonng time nursing a ring pop she discovered in her loot bag (meant for the end of the party).  Though there's no food allowed in the play room, Elyse sat in there, eating her ring pop for the better part of an hour, and while I chased Penelope around, I allowed it.  You've gotta take a break when you get it.
You may say that a McDonald's birthday party is enough for one night, but no-ho, we decided to party hop.  We left the birthday a few minutes early, and booted it to Burlington (40 mins away) for the Halton Down Syndrome Association's Halloween dance.

I know my kids.  And if there's three things they really like, it's:  music, dancing, and candy.  The party delivered; we were not disappointed.  We arrived at the dance just after 7pm (the kids bedtime), and I physically had to shake Elyse awake, and then help them all get their costumes on, but let me tell you - it was worth it!  Penelope latched onto my friend Emily's parents (grandparents in their own right), and worked the room.  Elyse stayed close to me, and we danced and danced and danced.  Ariel picked a table that had candy on it, and filled her boots. 
At HDSA events, the company is always good; so naturally, we had a blast.

I had a great day and night with my girls. 
"I've never stayed up this late before, mom!  I had so much candy!"
I think the feeling was mutual.



Elyse and her friend, pulling each other around

McDonalds Madness

Supergirl!


We ran into this super dude on our way in


Wonderbaby and superkid

Emily and I








No comments:

Post a Comment