Sunday, 29 October 2017

Make It Sew

Parents, here's an extra project for you before Halloween...or at least that's how I read Ariel's homework assignment.  Of course, it's a fantastic idea for a grade one student:  dress up one of your stuffed animals for Halloween and then write about it.  Present the transformation to the class.
Ariel knew right away what stuffy to use, her puppy, and what he would dress up as, a vampire, which meant one thing.  I guess I'm doing some sewing.
I enjoy the freedom and recklessness of hand sewing, when the mood strikes me, and so I decided to give it a go (after a quick google search through Petsmart's costume section -- yes, I went there - no luck).  It may have been years since I last sewed, but sewing's like riding a bike - the stitches come back to you (though don't examine mine too closely - or at all.)
In the end, I sewed on carnivorous canines, ominous brows, hair black as the night; created a dapper purple vest (my first vest!), and made a sinister looking cape with a popped collar, held on with a tie red as blood.  I improvised every design, which made the finished product pretty satisfying for this amateur seamstress.
Ariel is pleased.  I'm cursing myself for not suggesting a ghost.  Next time.
Here's the finished product.  Careful, he bites.








Time to work on the coffin!


1 comment:

  1. Wow what a cute and snarly vampire!

    And coffins - I remember working on a sarcophagus - the girls will know if they are interested in Egyptian burial practices - and made it as a shoebox for a doll which had been "Baby Jesus" the year before.

    ReplyDelete