Tuesday, 3 October 2017

The Potty Train

If you're happy, and you know it, shout Hooray!  Hooray!...  If you're happy and you know, and you really want to show it, if you're happy, and you know it, shout hooray for going on the POTTY!!!
\
Nothing makes me want to sing and dance like when Elyse has success on the potty.
 
This afternoon, while debating whether this would be the topic I'd write about today, I thought about how I'd proudly announce Elyse is now using the toilet, with the exception of night times (where we still use a pull-up, just in case).
I'm insanely proud of our girl for this accomplishment that seemingly came out of nowhere.  I have no magic advice or tricks to pass on to demystify the process, other than when they're ready, they're ready.  Be persistent.
Well, wouldn't I be singing her praises in my head when - wouldn't you know it! - I pick her up from school in her same outfit from this morning.  Then, when we get home, she has a snack before using the potty to pee (with my help to get on the seat).  More success!  With her pee out of the way, (voiding gives me a false sense of security that there won't be any 'accidents') she asked to go outside to play, and from the distant play house I soon heard her use two not-so-magical words that always get me moving quick, "I Pooed."
And so, ladies and gentlemen, we may not be all the way there YET, but we are so root-tootin close I can smell it.  Literally.
I can safely say Elyse has come home dry and clean from school, without having to change clothes, for the past two and a half weeks.  That took patience, time and effort, and hugely - at the end - a leap of faith.  My hat goes off to the fantastic educators at her school who've supported her through this transition.
I remember when Ariel was 2 and a half years old, and I tried potty training her.  She had no concept of when she was about to pee, until it was happening.  All she could really do was tell me about it, and I knew that was a readiness sign!!  Tired of cleaning up messes, in the end I put it off.  Just before Ariel turned three she decided she was ready to potty train, and did so in a couple of days.  I think a child's developmental readiness is key.  Elyse is at the tail-end of 4 years old.  Perhaps it was the building success over the summer that gave her the courage and self-confidence to will herself into panties for the school year.  Perhaps she wanted to save face with her classmates, keep her dignity intact, because she knows all the other big kids wear underwear.  Or perhaps, quite simply, Miss Elyse was ready to tackle the toileting issue.  She has done so at her pace, and though it sometimes felt, and still does feel, like an uphill battle, we're pushing towards the top.

Our Big Kid

For any families who have a child over the age of three years old that is wearing diapers, you may qualify for finance support through the incontinence grant provided by Easter Seals.



1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Elyse!

    And I can smell it too.

    Incontinence grants are ... good.

    I am glad you let Elyse go at her pace.

    ReplyDelete