"Penelope," she said, without hesitation. Ariel inherited her fairness gene from her dad, therefore, each kid needs a blog post.
"Okay," I agreed, especially since it's Penelope's 'month-aversary' today (not a real thing), and she's 15 months old - yeah!
"What should I write?"
And here is what Ariel said:
"Penelope is a baby who is learning to walk. She can crawl everywhere already. She cries all the time (*laughs* - this isn't true). She screams really loud at Elyse, and Elyse screams back at her, and they think that's a pretty funny game."
Ariel's portrayal of her baby sister is fair, though I'd like to add to it.
Penelope is the easy-going third child. A friend once commented, "Look at those eyes! She looks like an old soul." I couldn't agree more. Penelope continually strikes me as a mature mind patiently waiting for her body to catch up. We're in the thick of her early years now, but I know when I look back, I will never forget three things about her: her cheeky smile, our hikes through the forest alone together, and the way she tackles her sisters. Yes, you read that correctly, tackles. How she manages to do so from her knees is impressive. She's a bit of a brute, in her physicality. An adorable, chunky little brute, who really just wants to play. My heart swells when I think of her cherub cheeks, her tiny hands and feet, the way she snuggles in against my chest. The warmth off the top of her head, beneath soft ringlets.
It's a bit of a running family joke that Penelope is our 'Genius Baby'. Let me explain. The joke started off with Dan calling Penelope 'Boss Baby' (after the movie) in front of Ariel. Ariel became flustered, "She's NOT Boss Baby!" Dan persisted calling Penelope Boss Baby until Ariel attacked him with a flurry of punches that ended with him tickling her on the ground (disclaimer: we do not condone violence, just tickling) Boss Baby was in play.
Then one night at the dinner table, Ariel was asking Dan the same question over and over while he and I were trying to have a conversation. I looked at her, and said, "Why don't you ask Penelope? She's a GENIUS Baby, she'll tell you the answer." At that, Penelope raised the palms of her hands and shrugged her shoulders. "O-shhh?" she responded.
We all laughed. Ariel scrutinized her baby sister.
Now, Penelope was asking where Oreo was, that's exactly how she does it, but Ariel didn't know that, so it seemed like Penelope was answering.
"See!" I said, "Genius Baby." which of course got Ariel all worked up again.
Penelope's development - to date - has felt lightening quick. She crawls, she walks, she talks. "Mom? Mom?" she says, and I can never shake the kid's voice from Walking Dead, the one who was supposed to stay quiet, covered in zombie guts, so the REAL zombies wouldn't sense his presence among them. But the kid couldn't keep his mouth shut, and after the second call for his mom, the blood-thirsty creature bit into his shoulder, thus ending his little life, and somewhat annoying character.
But of course, when Penelope says mom, it's cute.
Her infancy passed in a heartbeat. When the last baby you've experienced growing up has Down syndrome, and her time as a baby seemed to pass in slow motion; then add Penelope is the third child, itching to catch up to her siblings, and, WHAM-O! Genius Baby. I rest my case.
When Dan and I are talking about our kids, and our thoughts fall on Penelope, we both quiet, and sigh, "She's just so cute!" one of us with inevitably blurt out. Or sometimes, simply, "Man, I love that kid." I guess that's what it's like to be the baby.
The following poem comes from the book, Little You, by Richard Van Camp, Illustrated by Julie Flett. It's one of Penelope's favourites, and one I read to her often as a baby. The book was a gift from her aunt Medrie (do you see how I'm working this in) who also has a blog, and is blogging for the 31-for-21 Challenge! Hooray! You can visit her blog here.
Little You
by Richard Van Camp
Little you
little wonder
Little wish
gentle thunder
You are mighty
you are small
You are ours
after all
Little star
with little wings
Let's all dance
let's all sing
You are life
and breath adored
You are us
and so much more
Little ember
with growing light
Feel our love
as we hold you tight
You are the birth of everything new
you are perfect
you are you!
Life and breath adored






I love the way you found Genius Baby her nickname.
ReplyDeleteAnd I like the way she asks for the cat.
Three things you'll never forget about Penelope.