Monday, 16 October 2017

Interlude

 A quick reminder as to why I'm blogging every day for the month of October...


October is Down syndrome Awareness Month in the U.S.   In Canada, we celebrate Down syndrome the first week of November, and so I will continue daily blogging until then.
This photo is of Elyse, our almost five-year-old tenacious little girl.
She recently told her sister off, "Ariel cut it out!" she said, and then, music to my ears, "You're a poo-poo!"  Yes, she called her sister a name.  And I loved it.  Every minute of it.  Ariel and I shared a knowing smile.  When your child often imitates the speech of others, spontaneous speech is to be celebrated - recognized and praised, even.  While I didn't praise her for calling her sister a poo-poo, I didn't dissuade her too hard either.  I helped her choose better words, but what I really wanted to say was, "Good for you, Elyse!"
Last week, she said, "mom, I want some blueberries."  It doesn't always occur to Elyse to ask for the things she wants when they are not offered to her, so I was pleased that she asked.  Not as funny or endearing as poo-poo, but much more constructive.
Elyse, I want you to continue to tell me what you want to eat, and to call your sister names.  And I'm going to celebrate it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment