Friday, 20 October 2017

What's Bugging Me

Can you guess what's bugging me?
Nope...it's not my kids.  They're little angels, all fast asleep upstairs.
What's bugging me is actually the bugs in my house.  We have bugs.  There I said it.  It wasn't a problem until, one day, about a week and a half ago, I decided it was.  All houses have bugs, Dan and I told each other comfortingly.  In our first home in Ancaster, we used to get the occasion large black bettle with red on its back.  Those were gross, because they made a crunch if you killed one, but they were few and far between.  In our next house in Georgetown there were Lady bugs, which I used to think were sweet, until now that I've seen a large cluster of them.  They're insect-y, alright. 
At first, the bugs in our new house didn't seem that bad.  There was the occasional tiny, tiny little brown beetle.  Except over the summer the little brown beetles grew in numbers and weren't going away.  I started finding them everywhere, and while they didn't seem to be doing any damage, they were becoming a pest.  I squished them one by one, but they still managed to spread into our entire house.  I called an extermination company, and booked an appointment.  I vacuumed our house top to bottom fervently - daily - at their instruction.  I waited patiently for them to come and spray my house so that this nightmare could be over.  They would spray, and four to six hours later I could return with three kids to a house full of dead bugs, in need of a good clean.  I was up to the task.  A bug-free house would make all my hard work worth it.
What I did not anticipate, was for the Orkin man to call me, and tell me he can't spray my house after all.
"What do you mean you can't spray?  What can you do?"
"Well, what I need YOU to do, is to find the food source causing the problem.  Spraying will do no good.  You need to find the source.  I'm going to check in with the etymologist next week and get back to you."
NEXT WEEK!!??!! F*&%
Does 'white worms' paint the picture for you, or shall I go into further detail as to the 'source' I was to seek out.  I definitely didn't want to be the one to find 'the source', but what choice did I have?  I can't keep vacuuming up bugs for the rest of my life.
There had been few to no bugs in our kitchen (thank goodness), so I was skeptical the bugs were feeding from our food.  We have a basement cold storage we use as a pantry, but when I checked there, same thing, no bugs at all.  Hmm...
The possibility of there being dead animals in behind our insulation came up.  I cringed.  I secretly blamed the previous owners for our problem.  They were the dirty ones.  At some point they had mice - I saw the droppings in our old kitchen.  Now the mice were dead behind our basement walls and bugs were feasting on them.  The idea made my skin crawl.

Armed with my vacuum cleaner and dish gloves, I cleaned the basement.  It was me against them.  Bug against Woman.  I did a thorough job of vacuuming, and was ready to admit defeat for the night when I remembered something the Orkin man had said, "Check all of your food sources.  I think this is a pantry bug, and if so, you have to find the source where the larvae are and get rid of it.  You'll know when you find it because there will be pock marks in the food.  It could be dog food."
DOG FOOD!  Of course!  My eyes looked up at the silver shelf in the laundry room, the area of the greatest concentration of bugs, and suddenly it all made sense.  The opened box of milk bones!  There it was, sitting open, high up on the shelf.  Bugs were crawling out of it.  I didn't dare look inside.  I grabbed a garbage bag, and took the whole box out to the garage.  Once out there, I carefully, slowly, opened it up, and lo and behold, there were dog biscuits with millions of tiny bite marks in them.  They looked spotted.  I didn't dig around or shake the box to look for worms.  I probably should have, but I may have died from grossness if I did.
All that matters is, ladies and gentlemen, I think I solved our bug problem!  My level of happiness after finding that box is commensurate with how disgusting the whole situation has been.  SWEET RELIEF!!!  As it turns out, Dan and I are the gross ones keeping old dog treats around - lesson learned!
Now, if I'm correct, the bugs should be completely gone within a day or two.  Fingers crossed!!!

Nothing bugging these three matching monsters...














1 comment:

  1. Congrats on solving your problem. Love the adorable photos!

    ReplyDelete