Thursday, 12 October 2017

Happy Trails

Weekly nature hikes have become a part of Penelope and my routine since back to school began.  To date, we've been on six different hikes - one a week - and second to breastfeeding, nothing has allowed me to feel closer to Penelope.  At the end of each hike, I give her a big hug and kiss and tell her, "We made it!!!" because that's how it feels.  I never know where we're going, and every place we've been to so far has been new from the time before that.  I had only been on a handful of hikes, period, before these adventures with Penelope began, and I will never not hike again.  I look forward to our outings, and part of the fun is choosing where to go.  I post pictures on Facebook, and a video every time, and people ask me how I find these magical looking forests?  If it seems like I know all the best places to go, it's because I'm in on the best kept secret.  Shhh!  Lean closer, I'll whisper it in your ear:  the hikes are from a book.  Books are where I find everything!
The book is called Halton Hikes, Loops & Lattes, by Nicola Ross, and there are 37 loop routes listed inside with maps and detailed directions.  I picked up my copy from Silvercreek Cafe in Georgetown, but you can order it online, and it's also sold at the Independent bookstore downtown, White Rabbit Books, I noticed today! 
I'm working my way through the easy hikes, while I have Penelope on my back, which, as it turns out, aren't so easy!  There are often steep inclines, exposed roots, slippery rocks and leaves, unexpected turns, and the occasional fallen tree to crawl over or under.  We've crossed many bridges, strolled along boardwalks, and often pause to admire the view.  The most difficult trek involved climbing up a rock face on my hands and knees.  Last week's hike felt like we had wandered into an enchanted forest, though the drop off the side made me weak in the knees.  We've crossed in and out of cities, marched through conservation land and across the Bruce Trail; cut through cemeteries, and walked past old barns and estates that seem to take you back in time.
I replay the images of the trees in my mind after each walk, and carry with me the peace and tranquility of the forest throughout the rest of the day.  We've encountered a handful of people on our walks, but usually we see no one at all.  I need these walks (see yesterday's post).  We breathe deeply, inhaling fresh air, and Penelope falls into a deep sleep in the afternoon, and sometimes while snuggled on my back.  What I admire most about my fellow traveler, though, is she's begun to take a real interest in her surroundings, and points out lakes and man-made structures, large trees and birds - anything she finds interesting.  Penelope, our budding explorer.
I bought my backpack carrier brand new for $70 from Hiker's Haven in Burlington, and use running shoes I already owned.  Other than that, getting outdoors costs me nothing.  I would urge you to try it, if the idea interests you - even if it doesn't, the simple act of getting outdoors every day is life changing.  Happiest of trails! 

"You do not like them.  So you say.
Try them!  Try them!  And you may.
Try them and you may, I say."



























bonus walk with the girls




























No comments:

Post a Comment